Thursday 29 January 2015

Interview with designer Cristina Bartl from The Bartl Studio


Gloria Urech, founder and creative @Gukuuki, interviewed Cristina Bartl at her Studio. This is the work of this talented Spanish designer.

Cristina is a fashion and print designer based in Majorca, Spain. She has worked for companies such as Loewe, Pepe Jeans London and Zara among others. In 2014 she launched her personal collection for home textiles and stationery under her brand, The BartlStudio.


Gukuuki: What made you become a designer?
Cristina: In my family, Art has always held an important position. My grandfather used to paint murals and my grandmother used to make beautiful garments for all the family. My aunt is an interior designer and my dad does creative writing… So I guess I did inherit the artistic gene somehow. 



Gukuuki: Why fashion?
Cristina: I don’t really have a good explanation for that… I just followed my heart. Since I was little I have always known that I wanted to become a fashion designer. I would sketch little girls wearing all kind of clothes. A while ago I found one of these sketches and my mom had written down the date. I was four years old when I drew it!

 









Gukuuki: You are a fashion designer, however an important part of your career is about print design. What do you like so much about it?
Cristina: The versatility and possibilities in creating your own prints becomes the key to make your garment collections really unique. In Fashion, most of the times, you have to adjust your creations to the fabrics available for that season. So, when you design your own prints, you give that extra special to your collections to become really exclusive.


Gukuuki: How would you describe your work?
Cristina: I would say that I have an eclectic style. I like many different shapes and color palettes, but I would say that I am usually not afraid of colors, my personal work is a little Dadaist and I am very fond of the handmade style. Because of that I usually sketch and draw using watercolors and pencils and then scan it. That gives a certain uniqueness to your work that’s impossible to achieve otherwise.





Gukuuki: What inspires you?
Cristina: Most of the times, I get inspired by nature and animals. These themes allow me to use a wide range of colors and organic shapes that I am very fond of. If I work on commissioned projects, I try to research as much as possible about the trends that I am working on, understanding better which shapes and colors I should use.



Gukuuki: Could you mention three people that really inspire you and tell us why?
Cristina: I love Modern Style, so I have quite a fond for Gaudí. His crazy, infinite imagination, use of colors and passion for details drive me kooky.
I am also a huge fan of Alfons Mucha. Probably because of his style and because I love illustrations and paintings of women. 

I have quite an attraction with the pre-raphaelite style too. Those color combinations mixed with the realistic portraits fascinates me. I would say artist John Everett Millais is one of my favorites, if not my favorite, and his masterpiece Ofelia is just breathtaking.



Gukuuki: I have found that your work has been published in TEXITURA pattern books. Could you tell me more about this experience?
Cristina: Of course! Publishing in Texitura has always been a great experience. It is quite a challenge too because you have to design for trends a year and a half ahead of you. They send you a selection of trends in which they are interested in and you work with that, not knowing if your work is going to be published until they receive it and go trough it, and they have quite a few technical requirements too.
However, it is super fun and totally worth it, and it’s great to see your work and your name published in a magazine like Texitura.




Gukuuki: What would you recommend to a recent graduate that wants to make it into the fashion business?
Cristina: I would advice to be patience, work hard and to create their signature style, to compile a strong portfolio. At the beginning, it can be very hard to get inside the industry, especially when you don’t have any experience at all, although once you make it, you have to show your best. Fashion is a very dynamic industry, hard still though with amazing opportunities that will come by. Make sure you are ready to grab them!



 


You can follow Cristina Bartl work in the following links:





No comments:

Post a Comment